5.05.2011

Kindling

The fire? No. Yes. Maybe. No, it isn't with an old flame (person), but it is an old love (FYI: books!). Maybe, because I use "kindling" here as a verb in another form, something that only our tech-savvy generation would understand. Okay, enough of the guesswork. I'm talking about renewing my love for reading books but this time, in a different medium: using a Kindle.

Hubby's maternal aunt and her husband had gifted hubby with a spanking new Kindle. Hubby had requested it because he`d like to have a nifty gadget that he can download into, read from, and store the tons of cases which are required readings in law school. Ever the supportive and generous relatives that they are, they shipped this spanking new Kindle after a few months. Hubby only requested the most affordable version but he got himself this Kindle with 3G and Wi-fi, and an authentic Kindle leather cover with light!

Kindling at night

Summer is still here so there are no classes yet; I get to experience the Kindle. It's handy and really lightweight. The screen provides no glare at all, making it suitable for endless hours of reading without getting that migraine. What I love most about it is that it can store thousands of books, and with the internet, I can download any title I'd like to read for free! A dream gadget for a bookworm like me, except that it's not mine! Haha. I had taken the liberty to download books that I've been meaning to buy (but do not have the money to spend) for the longest time. Now I have these e-books lined up for me to read:
  • A Child Called 'It' and The Lost Boy by David Pelzer
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
  • 1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • Tha Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  • Of Love and Other Demons and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
  • Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
  • Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder
  • Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom
  • Keeping the Faith and Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult
  • Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  • East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
My to-read list is quite all over the place. Some are classics while others are fairly contemporary. I was influenced by TIME Magazine's ALL TIME 100 Novels which was said to contain the "100 best English-Language novels from 1923 to the present"; for the fairly new titles, I have my friends to thank for recommending them.

So far, from the list, I have read both books by David Pelzer. I have started with Eat, Pray, Love and I'm almost midway into it. I hope I finish everything before school starts (I wish!) and before Hubby hogs the Kindle!

Sophie exploring the Kindle

2 comments:

Sapphire Mommy said...

Sophie is so cute! techie baby din sis! :)

Vanenie said...

Thanks sis! Hindi nga yan mahilig sa toys, ang gusto niya kalikutin yung mga hindi laruan like cellphone, remote, etc.

Post a Comment