6.01.2011

How Motherhood Changed Me

I never denied that Sophie was unplanned. We had her at a time when both of us are in the stage where we only think about are ourselves, and how we can enjoy each other. But having Sophie in our lives had paved the way for a clearer vision of and direction for the future. I guess, what I had was indeed a "career change".

I had experienced working in an industry, albeit it was only just two short months. During those times, I had only thought about the things I will buy or where Hubby and I will eat out, once I take hold of my salary. It was an egocentric living, I admit. Also, there's that constant need to be together with my Hubby and that heady feeling that Hubby and I are the only ones that matter to each other -- as if the world revolves around the significant other.

Being a mom is an entirely different story altogether. It is a continuous learning experience to be selfless and patient. Patience is something that I am forever in short of, but I try my best to lengthen it; proverbial note to self is "Don't sweat the small stuff". I have drilled into my head too, that it is our daughter's needs (and sometimes wants) first before mine. Currently, I am trying to figure out how to do the intricate balance between doing that and not neglecting myself entirely...

And added bonus perhaps? Because Sophie is a special angel, I have learned to let go. An irony when you think of it, especially if you are a mother. As a mother, I manage everything -- her food, her bath, her playtime, her health, her well-being -- and the control freak in me is given free reign. But Sophie's condition has taught me that not everything, I can control nor the outcome, I can predict. I just have to grasp that idea that someone up there is in charge, and that I should simply surrender and just trust in Him.



Sophie is roughly only 21 months old. I am, but a new mother. I still have a lot to learn, and a good deal in me that can be changed.

3 comments:

yahoo said...

Hi Vinnie,

I always read your blog and i find your blog interesting so i made my own stories to thanks for your site its a great inspiration and i add your link in my blog so im getting forward that my blog http://lifestyleandleisure.blogspot.com/

Michelle Solee said...

i agree with "don't sweat the smal stuff"

btw. i've tagged you on this post.
http://michiphotostory.blogspot.com/2011/06/seven-things-about-me.html

Spanish Pinay said...

How motherhood change us is always a heartwarming thought :)

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'll try to join this meme... it's a beautiful one.

Spanish Pinay

Post a Comment